Thursday, February 2, 2017

Thirty-third Day

August 21, 2004 - A Rainy Day in Beaverton


The anti-Trump protests need to be more selective about what we protest.
We should protest very specific actions - not everything he does.
When we protest everything,  nothing is important.
People will stop listening.
This is a marathon, not a sprint, and we need to be more strategic.

When I grew up there was a saying:
"sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me".
The ultimate plea for nonviolence.

Trump uses a lot of words that are meant to hurt, and the more we react to them the more energy and good will we expend on nonsense.

We need to choose actions that a lot of people would agree with.
We should protest the Refugee portion of the Executive Order, not the whole Executive Order.

Also, we should walk away when any violence begins.
And not protest at night.
Anarchists are just itchin' to create chaos.  
I don't know if they are real anarchists, or just overly aggressive young men who like to destroy things (I assume it's mostly males)

Those are my thoughts today.
The truth is Trump is doing so many damaging things it's hard (for me) to know for sure which are bluster and which will fundamentally change America as we know it.  
I spent the whole election overestimating the degree to which my thoughts and ideas are part of the mainstream.  I never thought it would come to this.

No comments: