Saturday, January 14, 2017

Fourteenth Day


When I was in 4th grade my friend RA and I signed up to be in the play "Rip Van Winkle" at the Marymoor Park Theater.

***

Work,
Visit John in the evening.

That is all.

As time goes by and the opportunity to have a conversation with John has become more remote, I find myself wanting to say out loud to him all the ways I'm a better person because of him.  I learned to be more patient, how important it is to listen, how easy it is to be kind, and that reaching out to others is the best way to maintain a connection.
He's experiencing this time in his life with a lot of patience and love and humor.  He's an easy person to be with even while his body is dying.
The greatest gift he gave to me is acceptance.
I have told him all these things over the years, so I shouldn't worry that he doesn't know.
As James Taylor said...I always thought that I'd see you again.


No comments: