Thursday, January 5, 2017

Fifth Day

(Note: The company I linked that image to referenced Hermann Hesse.  According to Wikipedia, he was a novelist, poet, and painter who explored an individual's search for authenticity, self-knowledge, and spirituality.  That matches up with my motto for the year, perfectly!)

Quiet day yesterday.  I didn't go anywhere or do anything special other than work.

I read chapter five of my book!

***

The beginning of the end of Obamacare has started in Congress.  This is very frustrating because the main reason Obamacare didn't live up to its promise is because Republicans were always fighting it.  In many states, the Republican governor would not support the medicaid increase.  People didn't like the mandate, but they don't realize the only reason they get to have pre-existing conditions covered and to keep their kids on their policies until 26 is because everyone would be paying into the system.  When you take out one part of the plan it won't work.
That's what Republicans are going to find out.  They keep talking about Repealing and Replacing Obamacare.  When they're asked what the replacement is they just nod assuringly and say 'we have a plan'.  They don't share it, though.  People keep talking about wanting the pre-existing condition rule and the adults under 26 rule to remain.
Well, ya gotta pay for it some way.  Insurance companies don't care about health - they care about making money.
It makes me kinda furious.

***

Today, I'd like to make note of a Humans of New York post.  HONY (as it's called) is a favorite website of mine. I'm constantly inspired by the voices of regular people - sometimes from around the world.  Brandon Stanton is the person behind it.

Here is yesterday's post...

“I thought when I came to New York it was going to be this huge change of scenery and that I could be whoever I want to be. I thought there’d always be a plan, or an event, and that I’d never feel alone, and that I’d be very ‘fabulous’ — for lack of a better word. ‘Carrie Bradshaw-esque,’ so to speak. But in reality, I still spend a lot of time alone. I think it’s because I’m afraid of being a burden on those around me. What if I’m not fun enough? What if the parts of me that are sad and complaining outweigh the parts of me that are good? Will I be wasting other people’s time? And when I do spend time with other people, I’m afraid to demand a certain level of kindness and respect. Because maybe that will make me even more of a burden. So I don’t reach out to other people very much. I spend a lot of time alone. But then I still get mad when I look on Snapchat and see people hanging out without me. But I’m trying to change my thinking. I’m not allowed to feel left out if I’m not making an effort. I’m not the protagonist of reality. I can’t expect good relationships to happen just because I exist.”

I feel this person's thoughts.  These could be my words.  Even her way of trying to change is what I think.  Amazing.  I wasn't a Carrie Bradshaw in New York person, but I had the idea that I'd easily fall into connections and fun groups without forcing it.  It would be natural and organic.  I was wrong.  That's what happens on TV, not real life.

No comments: