Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Fourth Day


I think this song (by REM) is about the scary end of the world and the bad stuff that will precede the end of the world.  I'm not sure if that's true, but that's what I get out of my read of the lyrics.

But, maybe we should be thinking this way all the time.  When we think we KNOW the world, then we get caught up in expectations and disappointment.  We need to get rid of the idea that everything is going to be the same today and tomorrow and the next day. It messes with our heads.

It's scary and disorienting to think things change all the time - but they do.  Sometimes in a flash.

The rest of this lyric is ...and I feel fine.

It's the End of the World as We Know It, And I Feel Fine.
Taking away all the scary stuff - I'll think of this as a way to live in the present moment and a reminder that I can choose how I feel about change and not having control over everything.

It might be the end of the world as I know it - but it's not the end of all that is. Ever.
It might be the end of the world as I know it - but it's never the end of all that is.
It might be the end of the world as I know it - but it's not the end of what the Universe knows.
And I feel fine - because I can't control it anyway.

UNLESS - as humans we really DO control things.  Hmmm...
Maybe that's the exhortation...I CAN control things. When we stand together, we are strong and we can make change. Our spirit molds the future.
Which goes along with my motto for 2017, which is the Universal Rules:
BE CONNECTED, BE CREATIVE, BE KIND, and BE YOU
When we are connected together we can be strong, and we can CREATE the universe we want to live in.

Okay - so that's this day's meditation moment...:)

The bottom line is...I FEEL FINE.

***

I read chapter four of my book last night.  I'm almost halfway through.
I'm fighting the urge to jump ahead, or look on Wikipedia to see what happened.
That's why I haven't been reading or watching movies as much in recent years - I've lost my patience. I just want to know what happens. Quickly.
But, I see value in reading or even watching movies that I'd like to cultivate again.
Focus is not a strength of mine.  I hope reading will remind me of the joys of diving deep rather than the hustle and bustle of the Internet where everything is available in a flash and it's practically encouraged that I DON'T focus - keep moving onto the next thing.  Grrr.  Too much.

***

I noted in yesterday's blog that the House decided to get rid of the independent ethics committee.
Since then, people were kinda outraged.  Even Donald Trump weighed in.  He doesn't think the idea is wrong, he just thought the timing was lousy.  Which, I have to say, was my take as well.  I don't KNOW if there is valid reason to get rid of it without thinking about it more - but the LOOK of it was pretty bad.

***

Hey - I just noticed something...
I don't already have 1000 posts (as I noted in an earlier blog post)!!!!!  I have a bunch of DRAFTS that I'll never publish.  Darn.  Ah well.

***

By the way - I've been writing these posts in the morning; this is the morning of the fourth day.  It's confusing me. I'm writing about Day Three and calling it Day Four.


No comments: