Sunday, December 11, 2016

Westworld (HBO)


In the last few days I watched Westworld.  Or rather, I watched a lot of Westworld, including the finale.
I watched episodes one through five.  I really WANTED to watch episodes six, seven, eight, and nine but I was so tired.  I could barely keep my eyes open.  I told myself I'd be able to tell what's happening if I just close my eyes and listen to the dialog.  Famous last words.  Of course I fell asleep. And when I woke up, it was over. I figured I could watch the next episode and if didn't know what was going on, I'd go back and rewatch episode.  I did the same thing on the next episode, and then next, and the next.  Every time I watched something I had an idea what was happening so I didn't bother going back to pick up what I'd missed.
I paid attention to the final 20 minutes of the finale.
Afterward I read the recaps on New York Times and The New Yorker.
Good enough!

So, what did I think about Westworld?

1. The acting was FANTASTIC!  All around.  Stellar.  I don't know what more to say.
2. One aspect is the idea of memory and reality and what makes us who we are.  I wrote a post about that idea some time ago. It's very interesting (1/1/17 ETA: the idea is interesting, the post - honestly, I'd have to look for it and I can't be bothered, so I can only guess that the post wasn't that interesting...:) )
3. It was disturbing to see how much people enjoy killing.
4. Of course using the robots the way they did - again, very disturbing.
5. I didn't understand the whole maze thing.  I think either there was much more to it than I understood or there was much less to it than the plot implied.  I don't know, even after reading about it on NYT and New Yorker.
6. I was sad the Ellie character didn't survive (I assume, because that was confirmed after I fell asleep)
7. Maeve and Dolores and Teddy were my favorite characters and I believed the actors completely.  Ed Harris did a fantastic job, as did Anthony Hopkins. Bernard was perfect.

The first five episodes were compelling. I wish I could have stayed awake. 'Cause chances are I'm not going to watch the episodes again.  On the other hand, based on my Star Trek Into Darkness experience (I'll be writing about it when I write about Star Trek Beyond) watching again could completely change (enhance?) my opinion.

I'll be watching in Season Two.

Update 12/13/2016 - I saw these two youtube videos from NewRockstars.  Yeah - I missed way too much to have been able to have properly understood or appreciated the episodes!  Great explanations..:) I may watch the episodes again.

Westworld Ending Explained 

Westworld Timeline Explained


No comments: