Monday, December 5, 2016

3% (Netflix)


I watched 3% on Netflix over the last weekend.  This is a Brazilian show that Netflix supported (?) and is now streaming.



As noted in the reviews above, this isn't new territory on the face of it.  As the story continued to unfold, though, I found myself finding deeper levels and meaning.
After the 8th episode, they can go so many different ways.  I'll be curious to see how they handle it because there are three different areas of interest: Inland, the Process Center, and Offshore.
I should have written notes while I watched because I can't remember the ideas anymore...definitely religion, Ayn Rand, societal fairness, politics...on top of the regular thriller and sci-fi part.

The best thing about the show, for me, is that I was taken along on a familar but not traditional ride.  Oh - I can't think how to say I didn't feel like I knew what would happen at each turn. But it wasn't completely surprising.  It was very pleasant.

I listened to 3 of the 8 episodes in Brazilian Portuguese (with English subtitles).  But, I was too tired to read all of it, so I listened to the rest dubbed in English.  If you can, listen in the original language.  It was noticeably better.

I found myself thinking more about the show today - wondering what might happen next.
I hope we get additional episodes and seasons.


No comments: