Friday, April 25, 2014

Cubicles



I like cubicles.
According to news media, that opinion puts me among a small minority of workers.

Why I like cubicles:
I like small, compact things.  I like creative ways to store things in a small space.
I like the special cubbies and accessories designed to maximize space and efficiency in a small space.
I like that all cubes start out the same, but they're decorated individually.  
I like the temporary nature of the cubes; the configuration of an entire office can be changed pretty quickly and it's a completely new work environment.

I've worked in a variety of cube configurations - low wall, high wall, 3 sides, 3.5 sides, desk only.  Even if the walls are low there's some bit of privacy.  I had a great cube at one company that had tall walls, a full length closet, lots of upper shelf storage, work space, cupboards and a rolling stool that could hide under the work space.  I also enjoyed my coworkers.    

Currently, I work in an office.  Everyone at the company has an office.  What a waste of space.  It also goes against my natural spirit of egalitarianism.  I definitely don't mind the privacy, but it's not efficient.

Open, collaborative work spaces are the new thing.  I love the idea of it.  In the new world of tech it makes complete sense - people are working together toward a common goal - learning, teaching, brainstorming.  If that's the environment I work in, it would be great.  I'd still prefer some privacy though; a place to make faces when I'm disgusted, clear my head, take a break.  Give me the illusion of privacy please.

The video above gives a good overview of the pros and cons of the cubicle workspace.  Luckily,  all my experiences with cubicles have been positive.

No comments: