Friday, April 25, 2014

Television I Watch - How I Met Your Mother

If only it had ended like this.

It's been a bit over two weeks now since the series finale of "How I Met Your Mother".

Sadly, my enjoyment of HIMYM reruns has been affected by that last episode.  I already turn off episodes that involve Zoe.  

I really liked Barney and Robin together.  During the whole last season we saw how they were changing and growing because of their relationship together; they accepted each other and were willing to face their fears to love each other.  It was meaningful and sweet and I was happy for them.
Within the first 5 minutes everything that had gone before with Barney and Robin meant absolutely nothing.
I don't understand why the writers spent so much time building them up as a couple.  What was the point?  Not only that but their breakup was an afterthought.  
First, how is it that all the sudden Robin's career is so amazing?  She never exhibited the skills I'd expect for a newscaster that travels the world.  That makes no sense.
And why would Barney follow her around?  The Barney I know wouldn't leave New York.  That's what made Barney and Robin so great together - they didn't need to be in each other's lap to be in love.
Or that's what I was told made them perfect for each other.

The fact that they so easily said 'see ya' didn't match what I'd learned about them as a couple.
It makes the rerun episodes seem ridiculous since all the meaning and emotion I felt for them was a waste.

Now, about the Mother.  She seemed like a lovely girl. 
I've always liked Ted.  I never thought he was a douche.  I mean, he has some quirks, sure.  But, he doesn't try to hurt people.  He's a generally optimistic guy.  
I'm glad he found Tracy.

I don't know why it was necessary to kill her.  I don't think there was a darn thing gained by it.  There wasn't some great moral at the end.  As many people have stated in their recaps and blogs about the show, Tracy was a vehicle for Ted to get kids and then Ted and Robin could be together.
Honestly, I have no idea why Ted and Robin were considered a good couple.  They were fine friends, but that's it.  

When I watched the show I wasn't quite as disappointed.  I thought all the people who hated the ending were overreacting to a television show.  But, the more I contemplate it, the less I like it.  So much so that it affects my desire to watch the reruns...especially the ones that have to do with Robin, Ted, or Barney's relationship.  

No comments: