Sunday, April 25, 2010

Leaving one moment and moving to the next

This weekend I learned how calming it is to leave the 'baggage' of a previous moment in that moment and move into the next moment fresh.
I had a frantic morning on Saturday, it seemed I was doing everything the hard way - turning left instead of right, not writing directions down well enough, not being prepared, etc.  It was a morning in which every small thing becomes bigger.  I was frustrated.    
As I reached my destination, though, I thought how unfair it is to saddle other people (or even myself, I guess) with the frantic energy of trying to get there.  It makes no nevermind to the current moment.  
In the past, I've used that as part of my identity.  "I'm the one who had to overcome all these goofy obstacles to get here - aren't I special?"


This weekend, I left the frantic energy in the past moment, didn't make it part of my identity, and moved forward.  I quite enjoyed not letting myself be part of energy that no longer had any value.  
I felt calm and peaceful.  


Nice lesson...:)


The picture above is from Saturday morning.  It seems to me a good representation of a 'moment'.
The picture is of a Blue Heron flying into the pond area at Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden.  
I started tracking it as soon as someone pointed it out, but I had no idea what my settings were at the time.  I don't even know what the settings SHOULD have been to track it. 
I didn't even think to click the shutter until the bird had passed before me.  What you're seeing is the backside of the bird flying away from me.  Oh well.
I'm amazed I was able to track it pretty well.  The shutter speed is 1/30 and the aperture is f/11.  ISO 400.
I like it because the bird is so in focus.  

No comments: