Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Abortion Debate...

You know...in this blog, I've expressed disrespect for people who use abortion as their number one criteria to select a candidate. 

I realize now that its not that the people use abortion as their number ONE criteria, but rather that they act like its the ONLY criteria.

The truth is, if I were presented with two identical candidates with the exception of their stance on abortion rights, I'd choose the Pro-Choice candidate.  No question.

The problem is the Christian right has acted like its the ONLY criteria.  What about gun control, the role of the judiciary, states rights vs federal rights, responsibility of government, etc?  I'd probably disagree with the anti-choice people on those issues as well.  And, if two candidates had the same view on abortion (anti-choice) then those right-wingers would have to choose some other criteria, right?

But, they choose to focus on the abortion issue because they know its easy to tug at people's heartstrings with unborn baby stories. 

Yes, I know this is all so obvious it doesn't even need to be discussed, but it interests me periodically.

And sometimes, its so obvious and ingrained in us that we forget to notice it and that's not good either - we forget people are choosing to manipulate us.

No comments: