Sunday, August 30, 2009

The trio of female crimefighting is over for the summer

The Closer, Saving Grace, and In Plain Sight have recently finished their summer seasons. 
All good shows with women who are flawed, but great in their jobs.


The Closer is the most traditional of the three.  Brenda Leigh Johnson is a gifted interrogator, but I'd like to know more about her team and how they all operate together.  They've done a better job incorporating that aspect to the stories this past season.  But, it still seems like Brenda's the one who does all the work and thinking.  The Pros of this show are:  Kyra Sedgwick as Brenda Leigh Johnson, the patience and love of Fritz, Brenda Leigh's Mom and Dad, Brenda Leigh goes by the book even when it involves her friend, Detective Tao, and the relationship/banter between the other detectives.   


Saving Grace is sometimes hard to watch because Grace is so not me.  She drinks too much, she parties in ways I don't understand, and she takes unusual chances.  However, she loves completely - she's faithful and devoted to her family and friends in a way I respect.  She's upfront and honest and doesn't take crap.  But, she's also a professional - she's not going to risk the lives of 500 people just to save one.  The Pros of this show are:  Holly Hunter as Grace Hanadarko, the realistic way the Oklahoma City bombing is weaved into the story, the friendship of Grace and Rhetta, the trust between Grace and her nephew, the Oklahoma vs Texas rivalry between the other detectives, the way the show doesn't talk down to me (which also means I probably miss things), the spiritual aspect isn't whimsical, its real.  And Grace's reaction to it is interesting.



In Plain Sight is the Sunday show.  I love that Mary is so good at her job.  And I just like how Mary McCormack plays her.  Sometimes her anger is too much and I wish they'd tone it down a bit.  I mean, really...can someone be THAT angry and cynical all the time? 
But, as with the others, one of the things I like best about her is her professionalism. She's not stupid. 
I like that she's trying to be better.  This season the mom and sister storylines were toned down a bit, which I liked a lot, and she was nicer to Raphael - even getting engaged.  I like the addition of Holly Maples as Eleanor Prince.  Her character helps take some of the wind out of Mary's sails, which is good.  Then there's Marshall.  Well, who wouldn't love Marshall, 'cause Marshall loves Mary so  much.  He's kind of goofy in a great best friend way.  They have a good relationship.
I didn't like this season's cliffhanger on 'In Plain Sight'.  (I'm sick of season-ending cliffhangers in general).  I thought it was expected - Mary could die and her family and friends wait in anguish.  Of course. 
And, I thought it was odd too because there was a tone of....ummm...I don't know what to call it...in the storyline.  The Spanish speaking lady wouldn't go against the Spanish speaking criminals because they're all Spanish speaking.  I suppose it happens in the real world, but I don't like to see it.  And I'm not sure if its a copout on the part of the writers or if it really is what happens in the real world. 

All in all - three shows I enjoy watching in the summer season...

No comments: