Saturday, January 31, 2009

Regrets, I've had a few...


It’s cliché to say that we don’t have regrets because whatever happened in the past has made us what we are today.

My reality is that I have regrets. I know I can’t do anything to change the past. I surely do wish, though, that I would have understood some things better when I was growing up.

See my previous post (which is what got me going on this regret tangent). When I remind myself what I thought of “Burning Down the House” and how much I would have enjoyed Talking Heads at the time, I’m reminded of many regrets.
I wish I’d paid 100% attention to things instead of the 50% I normally did.
Snap judgments are a waste of resources – who knows what else I let slip through my fingers?
I wish I’d known myself well enough to know what I liked.
I wish I’d given 100% of my attention to my own interests instead of giving 50% attention to the opinions of others and trying to fit in.

“Burning Down the House” teaches me every time I hear it.
The lesson is BE ME.

I may not be able to change the past, but I can change how I live every moment from here on out.

209 words/1072 characters (with spaces)

No comments: