Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Barack Obama is President-Elect of the United States of America

It just hit me. I watched his victory speech and at first I listened to it as if it was another pre-election speech. I had to remind myself this is the final speech of Election 2008. He won. Barack Obama won. Barack Obama is the President-elect of the United States of America!

And then I cried. I don't know him and I'm proud of him.

Great speech.

I've been wanting this for so long. I've been afraid to believe it could be true. I hope and pray and will do what I can to help him fulfill his promises to the country.

I thought Barack Obama looked a little overwhelmed by the moment himself. He was blown away by the number of people who were there and the number of people who supported him.

He'll be so glad to sleep in his own bed tonight.

Historically speaking, this might be the moment, the time, that I was born to be a part of.

I've often remembered a time when I was in my late teens and my mother was speaking to someone and referenced how messed up things were politically. She said something about maybe my generation would figure things out and I said, yes mother, we will.

I've always felt bad that I haven't lived up to that. I'm not the leader or the thinker or the doer that my country needs.

But, I am the voter my country needed right now. And Barack Obama is in my generation.
(As it turns out, though, my Mother's a Republican so this probably wasn't the way she wanted things to get worked out...HA!)

No comments: