Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night

The votes are still coming in. Its not yet poll closing time in my area, but it appears Barack Obama has won the election.

I remember years ago complaining when the West Coast was neglected - the networks would declare a final winner before our polls had even closed. Irritating.
Now, they don't declare a final winner until 8:01 our time. Very nice of them.

This year, I don't know what they were supposed to do. It appears John McCain can't even win. Unless the projections are wrong, there's no way John McCain can numerically win. Oh - and the assumption is that WA, OR, CA, HI will all go overwhelmingly for Obama. I hope that happens.

I've been watching CBS tonight. I decided I'd watch one network all night long. (I forgot about PBS and C-SPAN. I should have considered them. And I don't get MSNBC.) I wanted to get the feel of the experience - a consistent through story.

The coverage has been 'okay'. Just 'okay'.
They're projecting way ahead of other networks as far as I can tell (I change channels at the commercials briefly.)
And when they put the projections up, if its already been decided from their perspective, they're not showing the percent of precincts in and the percentage of votes.

Otherwise its fine. Not as dynamic as I'd hoped. Oh well.

Polls are about to close in the west. I'm signing out and gonna watch for the rest of the night.
I look forward to the results from some of our issues and seeing McCain's concession speech and Obama's victory speech.

Wowza. This is really happening! Fantastic!

No comments: