Thursday, July 24, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Season 4 - Top 8

Wow - this was the show that put me over the edge!
Toni Basil was a nice surprise. She has knowledge of a lot of dance styles and she gave the dancers relevant and helpful critiques. I applaud the show for getting the larger dance world involved in the show. Its clear they love dance. Good.

I guess its obvious who will go tonight. Comfort and Mark.
I like Mark's dance style, but its true that he doesn't demonstrate tranditional dancer technique in his solo. Mind you, I like that. I think he's doing the right thing - the solo is where he's supposed to show his personal style. He shows his technique during the partner dances and I think he's always given a great performance.

Once again, the idea of 'street dancer' is relative. So, Comfort went to a performing arts school? And took dance classes, including ballet? I'm disgusted by the show pushing the idea that she's an untrained dancer. I, and the rest of the armchair judges, not to mention the show's judges, have been critiquing her with the idea that she's doing well given her lack of training.
It turns out she's a trained dancer who's not very good.
So, its her personality? Not for me. I'm not saying I don't like her, but her personality has not 'shone through' her lack of technique for me.

I'm bothered by the show misleading me about a dancer's history. Not just in the case of Comfort - but all the dancers in the past who've been judged kindly because they're untrained.

I don't trust Nigel and Mary Murphy critique's. Tonight in particular, according to Nigel and Mary, everyone was wonderful except Mark and Comfort; and boy were they bad (according to Nigel and Mary).

And, if Mary doesn't stop with her usual tricks - ugh, its so boring. She pretends she doesn't like the dancer and then, surprise - she does. Either that or her stupid Hot Tamale train. Her critiques have become repetitious - if she likes the dancer she says..."Sure the technique wasn't quite there....", and if she doesn't like the dancer, "Sorry guys, the technique just wasn't there..." Her critiques aren't instructive to the viewers - we don't learn anything about the dance that we don't learn from other judges.

And the screaming....?!?!?!?!?! I'm tired of it. And I'm tired of choreographers pandering to the screaming by having the guy take his shirt off. Its just too much and it encourages a 'lowering of the bar' by rewarding pelvis/booty thrusts, tricks, and bare chests. How many "simulated intercourse" moves were there last night? It looks like the dance floor of a club out there.

The judges are less tolerant of choreography that's a little different - or rather doesn't involve sex, or Mia Michaels. The reception that Sophia's dances got this year are an example. Part of the judge's critique was a comment that the general public won't understand the dance; they set it up so the unusual dance style (which didn't seem that unusual to me) was a negative for the audience. Although I think, in general, the audience voters get it right.
It has to be said that at least they do put 'offbeat' choreographers on the show - but I wonder which choreographers don't make it.

Art is a tough business.

Katee and Twitch's presentation of Mia Michaels choreography was very good.

Everyone else, did a fine job. I didn't love all the choreography/songs. But, as dancers, they did well.

So, what's with the IV Real? I'm sick of that too. Even Cat's getting into it this week.
I think there's more to it than meets the eye., but I don't want to speculate because that's part of the fun for them - making everyone guess. It either means nothing or something. If its nothing - then the jokes on me, if its 'something' - then I want to know what the 'something' is - they're trying to send a message, but just what kind of message is a mystery for now, and maybe always will be.

Alright, so what will happen? I had a vague notion, but it was crystallized by Pat on his vlog (http://ablogaboutthings.com/) and I was reminded again that Comfort's fans are devoted.

If its not Comfort, it will be Courtney. On the guys side, it will be Mark (boo hoo, cause I like him, but I understand).

My expectation for the next two weeks...
Tonight - Mark and Comfort go home
Next Week - Twitch and Courtny go home
Finals - Chelsie goes out first, then Joshua. Next Katee, and the winner is Will.

I know its not a shocking prediction. Sorta common knowledge/expectation probably.

No comments: