Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Story of My Life - 001 - November 1980

This is the first 'story of my life' post.  You'd think it would be a really important life event because it's the first.  It's not.  I picked a piece of paper out of the memorabilia bag and this is what we're going with.  Thank Goodness I can throw this away after I'm done.


Sherry and Jerry are the father and stepmother of one of my two best friends at the time.  I would never have guessed I went to their wedding, or purchased a wedding gift for them.  Now that I've been reminded, I can just barely make out an image in my mind of Sherry and Jerry in their wedding attire.
Jerry owned a small tennis and swim club.  Because I was friends with LS, we had nearly free reign of the club in late elementary, middle, and high school.  It was such a part of our life we called it 'The Club'. 
We were really lucky and hopefully didn't take too much advantage.

Sherry and Jerry were a couple from nearly the beginning of my friendship with LS.  Although they're a continued presence in my memories of LS and those days, I don't have any stories about them specifically.   In retrospect, I can't imagine how overwhelming it would have been for Sherry to have a boyfriend with six boisterous kids.

In my perception of the time,  Sherry and Jerry were the glamorous couple who had parties and friends and money.  LS' mom was taking care of six kids while working irregular jobs.
It was a contrast that I think had an effect on my ideas of men and marriage and relationships.

Anyway - they were nice people and never made me feel bad for hanging around a lot. 

I'm glad I went to their wedding and gave them a gift.

No comments: