Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Next Day...Election 2012



So...that's good.  Yay Obama/Biden! :)

And same sex marriage seems to be winning as well.  Very proud of my state.

I watched the CBS coverage all night long.  Hard to keep track of pre election polling numbers, exit polls, early vote percentages, projections, calls, estimates, likely this that and the other.  Aargh...just tell me we won!!!

I couldn't keep my eyes open for the entirety of Obama's speech.  I've seen it since and yes...proud.

McKenna's speech was a very, very, very long winded mix of "I'm not giving up, but I better thank all my peeps now in case this doesn't go my way, which it looks like it isn't, but I'm the same state Attorney General who signed on to a lawsuit to try to make Obamacare unconstitutional so obviously I'm a bit out of step" type of speech.
And yet...I felt bad for him.  I'm sure he wants to win.  But, I hope he doesn't.

And speaking of people who wanted to win.  Ya gotta feel bad for Mitt Romney.  Not enough to change the outcome of course, but - he really wanted to win.  And it's not like he did a horrible job.  He was steady in the face of an overwhelming lack of enthusiasm during the primaries, and he came through in that first debate.    He traveled, he tried, and he just isn't the right person for the job.  In this case, the crowd does know best.

Interesting to hear the analysts talk about big 'groups' of people who voted this way or that.  Women overwhelmingly voted for Obama, but whites overwhelmingly voted for Romney.  Except I'm a white woman who voted for Obama.  From my personal experience I know the generalizations are inaccurate.
Instead of using the physical characteristics of people to estimate how they might vote, I wish they'd consider the policies.  For instance, Middle class married people voted overwhelmingly for X because of his policies to cut the budget.  That seems more meaningful and interesting.
I suspect it's also the kind of detail that the pollsters aren't able to capture.

Speaking of which...think how many people have jobs just because of politics and elections.  Pollsters, stylists, speechwriters, local tv advertising people, event planners, media people, pundits, newspaper columnists, etc.
It seems that so many of them are not adding to the health of our society...it's a crazy codependent dysfunctional apparatus that feeds on itself to remain valid and stay alive.
Ugh.

Those are my thoughts after the election.  And looking ahead...right now I'm thinking....



HILLARY IN 2016






No comments: