Friday, April 15, 2011

Goodbye ABC Afternoons

Boo Hoo...ABC cancelled my two soaps today.  Double Whammy!

I started watching All My Children around the time Phillip Brent came home from Vietnam.  He was in love with Tara Martin but she was with Chuck Tyler.  I watched pretty faithfully during the 70's and into the early 80's.
I don't remember what storyline was on when I started watching One Life To Live.  OLTL was on after AMC so eventually I was too lazy to get up and change the channel (back in the day) so I got hooked.
(Which is how I started watching General Hospital - I specifically remember the storyline that caught my eye was when Laura Webber was accused of killing David Hamilton).

For a time, I watched Ryan's Hope at 11:30, All My Children at 12:00, One Life to Live at 1:00 and General Hospital at 2:00 straight through.

One Life to Live was more consistently my favorite soap - the stories were quirky enough to keep me interested.  However, each one of the soaps had more than one storyline I can remember to this day.  Sometimes I'll look at soap websites to read old recaps...I'm reminded of what I used to care about and surprised by what I don't remember.

I've started watching AMC and OLTL again in the last year.  It gave me a familiar comfort in these crazy times.

I thought it would never end.

No comments: