Sunday, February 20, 2011

You may think I have no sense of humor, I should lighten up, and I'm a killjoy...

Cover of Joe Nichols album "III"
I went out with workmates on Friday night to a country western bar where the music was really loud and nobody gave me grief for trying to line dance with little interest in learning the steps.
Fine and dandy.

Then I heard the song "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" and my prudish sensibilities were offended.

I'm lousy at discerning lyrics so I'm glad to say the true lyrics are much less horrifying than I imagined (drunken date rape).
Though no less problematic.
What do you suppose happens after her clothes fall off?

The song is intended to be humorous because it's sung from the point of view of the boyfriend who recognizes there will be more clothes to buy since his girlfriend loses them all when she's drinking Tequila.

However, drinking to excess so a person is doing something they wouldn't normally do is not funny or humorous, a phase all people go through, or anything to be proud of.
It shouldn't be taken lightly because when people drink alcohol to excess...

  • they can be more easily manipulated and manipulative,
  • men take advantage of women in ways they wouldn't dare to otherwise,
  • mental illness is misdiagnosed,
  • they could get alcohol poisoning,
  • they might drive a car, risking their own lives and the lives of innocent people around them,
  • fights are more likely to break out,
  • relationships/families can be destroyed.


This morning, I saw an article in the NYU newspaper about how to get fake id so underage university students (and high school students I guess) can drink alcohol.
I'm sad that underage drinking (and binge drinking) is so acceptable in the mainstream there's no need to hide it.

Alcohol won't go away, it's legal, and it doesn't always ruin a person's life.
I love a lot of people who drink alcohol and may have been drunk to excess.
But I wish we could at least not act like underage drinking or being wasted at any age is something that should be celebrated, hollered and whoo-hoo'd about, or acceptable.
I wish some people didn't think they need alcohol to have a good time.

That's my opinion.

Update I: I just watched the video of the song (linked above) and I hate it even more.
Update II:  This is what REALLY happens when Tequila makes her clothes come off...not a pool party with a leering guitar player.  Ugh - I'm really hating this song right now.

No comments: