Sunday, February 27, 2011

Eric Clapton Concert

And I was there...

I missed most of Los Lobos except the last medley of La Bamba and Doctor Doctor, which was peppy.
Sometime around 8:45 or 9:00, Eric Clapton came onstage and began a concert that was all about the music; there was no banter - at all.
Because of the big screens giving us plenty of close-ups of the guitar riffs, it was easy to appreciate the virtuosity and talent of Eric Clapton.  Not to mention the two guys on keyboard Chris Stainton and Tim Carmon, both of whom were givien multiple solos.
I found myself really getting into the flow of the song during the extended solos.
Since I'm not familiar with Eric Clapton's songs, I'm not entirely sure which songs I especially appreciated, but I think it was Key to the Highway, Hoochie Coochie Man, Old Love, River Runs Deep, Rockin Chair, and Before You Accuse Me.
Here is a link to the setlist.
I'm glad I was there with LJB and JYRG, although I drove myself because they went early and LJB is staying over at JYRG's for a couple nights.  There was some talk in the news about snow coming through again in the evening.  I forced myself not to worry about it during the concert.  I did okay with that.  And it turns out the roads were dry...yay!
I left before the encore song Crossroads because I was parked in a spot I figured would take me awhile to get out of if I waited for all the rest of the crowd to stream out.  I made a good choice - they were streaming out as I exited the parking garage and with one quick little jaunt through a neighborhood I managed to avoid much of a traffic jam.
(Although, sometimes avoiding traffic and missing the opening act isn't the most important thing; spending time with friends makes an experience more memorable.  It may have been convenient and less of a hassle the way I did it, but I missed out on bonding moments...plus, I gave into my fear of loss of control.  Sigh.)

No comments: