Friday, December 17, 2010

I still don't get Facebook

It seems like a middleman.  Companies and people with their own websites create another 'website' and encourage people to go there and have discussions, while at the same time they continue their own websites where they also encourage discussions.
Seems like an extra layer.
I'm not a mobile user so maybe that makes a difference. 
Honestly, I like the idea of eavesdropping on people's lives via their status updates without giving anything back.  But, by the same token, that means it doesn't create any connection - it's just idle curiosity.
Twitter makes more sense to me, but I can't follow those conversations so I don't know what's going on there either.
I'd say mobile computing technology - rather than Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg (I didn't see the movie this year) - should be the Time 'Person of the Year' or Julian Assange.  I thought I'd heard Time was going to make Julian Assange the 'Person of the Year' until the rape charges in Sweden happened. 

No comments: