Sunday, December 19, 2010

A couple thoughts...

Retired Navy Cmdr. Zoe Dunning is surrounded by other repeal supporters in San Francisco as the decisive vote is announced. (Paul Chinn/san Francisco Chronicle Via Associated Press)

Gay rights are a no brainer to me and I don't understand why it hurts anyone what gay people do. I fully support the right of gay partners to marry and adopt children. (Though, I think marriage has become confused between the secular and religious and should be reviewed, that's a different discussion.)
I remember when DADT started in the Clinton administration. It seemed like an intermediate step at the time because Clinton campaigned on the promise that gays would be allowed in the military. He couldn't get it through so they settled on this compromise solution.
The outright BAN on homosexuality in the military was gone, but gays were still in the military closet. Although it took years to get this DADT repeal, the years may have made it easier to repeal at this time because we have years of evidence that banning gays in the military was nonsensical - as many service people testified, their branch of the service honors integrity and honesty, and yet they were essentially ordered to be dishonest and have no integrity. Makes no sense. Glad DADT has been lifted.
John McCain is still against it. He's not a smart man. I'm glad he's not our president. He wanted a study to find out what the service people thought since they're the ones who would be affected. (As a former military man you'd think he'd ascribe to the idea that a soldier does what the military tells him - no matter what.) Once the study/questionnaire was complete and it was clear that most in the military thought it was okay he decided the questions were wrong. Whatever.


WikiLeaks - I'm coming down on the side of leaks - unless it involves details of troop movements or the position of defense assets or the names of spies or stuff like that. Diplomatic memo's? Come on - be more professional in your diplomatic communication and more above board in your positions and none of this would be a problem, would it? It's what we all have to learn growing up and getting into the work world. One job skill that doesn't get enough mention is being able to communicate the truth in a factual, non judgmental or emotional way.
I think it's conveniently coincidental that Julian Assange has rape charges filed against him in Sweden. It's all quite suspicious. And I believe my government is involved in a way I wouldn't approve of. I think my beloved president knows what they're doing and I'm sad he's been put in this position, but I wish he wouldn't act like it's somebody else's fault.
This is like a spy movie or spy story playing out in real life. Except in a story I'd know what all sides think say and do, and the story moves along more quickly.
Anyway - except for if people's lives are in danger, I think this is embarrassing for the United States, but WikiLeaks did nothing wrong.
I feel bad for the kid who leaked the stuff though. That's pretty rough. I'm glad PFC Bradley Manning did it, but he violated the terms of his employment and he'll have to suffer the consequences. That's the problem with being a whistleblower; you must have a lot of courage and be willing to suffer the consequences. I haven't done research on it, but I think he didn't have a noble reason for leaking the documents. I got the impression it was because he could, and he felt a bit neglected. That's the kind of thing the CIA might say about somebody in this kind of situation though - they try to make it the fault of some misguided loner. Sad.

No comments: