Sunday, November 21, 2010

I finished my first Kindle book

Not to mention, the first book I've finished in a long time that wasn't Doctor Who.

I just finished reading Melissa Anderson's new book called "The Way I See It".
I selected it to read because I'd already started Alison Arngrim's book "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated" and in that book, Melissa Anderson does not come off well. I was interested in hearing Melissa's side of the story.
Melissa Anderson's book was light and easy to read quickly, so I put aside Alison Arngrim's book for the short time it took to read this one through.
I thought it sounded like the kind of book stars might have written in the old days when their squeaky clean reputation was important, or an old Tiger Beat magazine article. Melissa doesn't say anything unkind about anyone or any experience. Everything is upbeat and happy. She mentions some uncomfortable acting situations but nothing that she doesn't put a good spin on.
Which, in real life, is a blessing.
For a book though? Eh. It lacked emotion. Long passages of the book are her scene by scene descriptions of Little House episodes. The little tidbits of information she throws in are not entirely interesting. For instance, when she writes that an actor was in the episode and then tells us what other movie the actor was in. Oh. Ok.
Other sections of the book are written as if they are part of a script. That seemed wasteful and gimmicky to me
I believe this book was put together quickly to capitalize on both Melissa Gilbert and Alison Arngrim's books which also came out this year (and I purchased on Kindle).

I wanted to read the book to find out if Alison Arngrim's characterization of Melissa Anderson was the truth or not. I come away thinking it very well could be.
Melissa Anderson confirms that she wasn't great friends with Melissa Gilbert; their personalities weren't the same. As much as we, the viewing public, would like to believe they shared a special real life bond because they played sisters on television, the truth is they were coworkers. That's it.
Melissa Gilbert and Alison Arngrim were good friends, also confirmed by Melissa Anderson.
From that, I assume Alison and Melissa Anderson were coworker's. That's it.
I could absolutely believe there was much more conflict (and interesting details) than Melissa Anderson describes in her book. I can also believe that Alison Arngrim is relaying the truth of the relationship as she felt it, which could be different than Melissa Anderson meant it. Or not.
I don't think Melissa Anderson cares. She's okay with whatever people think because she's happy with her life as it is.
And that is the difference between Melissa Anderson and Melissa Gilbert/Alison Arngrim and why they don't have the special relationship we want them to have; they just don't think about things the same way.
No big deal.
And that's what I take away from the book.
Other than the fact that it cost the same as Alison Arngrim's book and Alison's book is five times meatier than Melissa Anderson's. I don't think Melissa cares - not because she's mean, It's just not where her life focus is.

Here's link to a video of Melissa promoting the book. She seems normal to me - nice, not overly interested in telling her life story, but not immune to wanting to make a few dollars.

By the way - Along with Melissa Anderson and Alison Arngrim's books, I also purchased Melissa Gilbert's book "Prairie Tale: A Memoir", so eventually I'll have completed the Little House On The Prairie trifecta.

(The Little House books were my faves when I grew up in the 1960's - hardcovers with illustrations by Garth Williams...classic. Strange to see that all these years later I'm commenting not on the Little House story, not on Laura Ingalls Wilder, not on the television show, but on the lives of the three child stars of the television show which I only watched 'cause I had read the books. Crazy.)

No comments: