Monday, April 12, 2010

Eckhart Tolle, “The Power of Now”, and Me…a project of acceptance


It turns out my life isn’t going the way I’d hoped.
I thought I’d have more peace of mind by now.

When I was young, my mother told my sister and I that if we saw a hay truck on the highway we could make a wish on it. We had to lick our thumb, stamp the opposite hand’s palm with the wet thumb, and seal the ‘stamp’ with the side of our fist.
Wish registered!

I always wished for ‘peace and happiness’.
Maybe there was a time when I was really young that I wished for toys or candy.
But, since my first memory I’ve always wished for ‘peace and happiness’.
Sometimes I’d make it more specific by saying ‘world peace and happiness’.
Mostly, it was all about me and my peace and happiness!

I think I must have made that wish about 150 times in my life. And I’m talking legitimate, hay-truck-on- the-move, wish-registered-properly wishes – 150 times!
So, where’s my peace and happiness, huh?

I've recently been told you have to DO stuff (or rather UNDO stuff) to have a peaceful, happy life.
Gulp.

Oh.

That’s what my new project is about…the process of discovering how to be peaceful and happy.
Now, I haven’t DONE it (or UNDONE it) yet – so who’s to say I’ll really discover peace and happiness.
But, I did say it was about the process, right?

My foundation will be Eckhart Tolle’s “The Power of Now”. I have the book, I’ve downloaded the audiobook, and I have paper and pencils at the ready.
I will see it, hear it, practice it, mull it over, and share it.

My goal? To live free.

First entry from the book coming up tomorrow!
Bless us all…J

No comments: