Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lost Season Six Episode One

The picture is from the scene in last night's season six premiere of Lost that made me say YEEOW, out loud, to no one!
Oh - he's a good actor.  I've been a Locke fan from the beginning.  I'm reminded that I'm a fan of Terry O'Quinn as well.  Look at that face!!  It's giving me the shivers just looking at it now.  HA!
While I was watching the episode, I wondered if I'd be interested in watching the DVDs again once I know the answers.  Episodes that don't even provide clues to the mystery - will they be boring to watch again?
I don't know yet - the last episode will tell the tale, right?  I thought I'd watch the whole series over again before the final season started, but then I didn't.
It occurs to me, though, that I like having an overall understanding of what's going on and not remembering every little detail.  I may not immediately understand the significance of every little thing that's said, but it makes me pay attention all the more, which ups the intensity level.
I'm happy to be led down the path.  I guess its because I trust they're taking me somewhere interesting.
So far so good.

I hope, at the end of this season, I'm not saying to myself "But, what was the point?"
I'm reminded of the Umberto Eco novel "The Name of the Rose".  There was a mystery, and puzzles, and grand ideas that played into the mystery and appeared to point to something really big and strange and wonderful.  Then, in the end, it was nothing.  At least as far as I was concerned.  It was all too mundane.
However, I spoke about it briefly to somebody else and they thought it was the best book ever.  I got the impression it was because the story was a vehicle for discussions about religious fervor and .... ?  I can't remember much else of what it was about.  The point is, the plot was the vehicle for meditations on larger issues, not a theory describing the larger issues. (I hope that makes sense)
From what I've read in the blogs, that might be the deal with Lost as well.
Some say they'll appreciate the series even if no questions are answered because they've been able to think about faith and destiny and other large issues.  The journey will be its own reward for them.
Others want answers and will be disappointed if not enough are provided (we already have one answer from last night's show).  For them, the destination is where the value of Lost will be found.
I have appreciated the show so far, but its because I want to see what all this leads to.  There's my fun, trying to figure it out before its spelled out for me.
I'm afraid I'm one of the people for whom the destination must make sense and have some value in order for the show to have been worthwhile for me.
It's not very Buddhist of me, is it?  Okay - I'm not really Buddhist, but I'd like to be.
Last night's season opener - good episode...some questions answered, understanding clarified.  No problems so far.
No spoilers here.   And now I'll read what other people are saying about the premiere!

No comments: