Thursday, January 21, 2010

Corporations Win





This isn't good.  It feels like the end; a turning point.  It's the end of a big game and the other side won.  I know, I know - I sound melodramatic.  But, I believe it.  (Though I'm not sure if the game is over or its just the first quarter, or what.  I'll only know its cultural and historical significance if I can live to be 110 and have more history to review - which is now my future.)

Corporations are treated better than people.  That's not a healthy sign for our country.  


*****


There is about a 3 to 1 ratio of public relations people vs journalists.  Much of the 'journalism' we see on mainstream media is originated by public relations firms, not journalists.  This comes from "The Death and Life of American Journalism"  by Robert McChesney and John Nichols.  I originally heard this information on my local radio station - KBOO - but here is a link to the authors on the PBS show NOW with David Brancaccio.


Corporations have a lot of money.  Money buys influence.  In this case, money buys news.


*****


I'm sad and disheartened.  
Sigh.



No comments: