Thursday, December 24, 2009

Lev Yilmaz



A lot of things have conspired in my life to make this video timely...
- I heard an interview with the author of "Good without God" on Fresh Air
- A friend's husband published a book and accompanying video; part I discusses why Christianity is not logical, which I'm still pondering.
- While looking for the Joe Sacco book "Footnotes in Gaza" at Powell's Books, I saw the book "Sunny Side Down" by Lev Yilmaz, who also created the video in this blog entry, which I found on his YouTube channel.
- During our salon chat a couple weeks ago we spent some time talking about our spiritual lives.
- It's Christmas Eve

Although I've decided to believe in a higher power, I felt a particular kinship with what Lev says from 2:19 through 2:35:
Though I don't know if I believe, I deeply understand the appeal of thinking there is something bigger than us.  Though I don't know if I believe, when I think about how long I'm going to be dead I understand the appeal of believing in an afterlife.  Though I don't know if I believe, for some reason movies about the devil always really freak me out.
I'm heartened every time I discover another kindred spirit in the world.
The media would have me believe I'm alone in a sea of madness.

No comments: