Sunday, November 8, 2009

More Kate and Cary in "Holiday"



I decided to watch another Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant movie this morning.  I don't know how I missed "Holiday" all these years.  Its another 1938 movie made after "Bringing Up Baby".  Its a charming movie that will never go out of style because the topic is forever timely.  The themes or topics are:  money, is that all there is?  What's life for?  Freedom vs Conformity, Obligation vs Individual Desire.  What do you give up for love?  Big ideas.

I loved Cary Grant's character, Johnnie Case - He's a nonconformist who's wants to be happy more than he wants to fit in.  And, he enjoys life.
Katherine Hepburn's character, Linda Seton,  has always been stuck in a conformist cage yearning to be free.
Excellent work by both actors.
The movie maintained a nice balance between instrospection and entertainment.
I enjoyed it; its more my style than "Bringing up Baby" (though as I suspected, I'm liking it more in retrospect...there WERE a lot of funny lines in that movie).


 

No comments: