Thursday, October 22, 2009

I like Star Trek





Yeah, I said it.
I meant it.
I'm here to represent it.

It all began in the 1970's with Star Trek reruns every night at 6pm on Channel 12. 
How many times have I seen those original series episodes?

I looked forward to each incarnation of the series until 'Enterprise'.  (I tried to like it, I really did.)

I don't know all the details of ships and planets and stardates or anything, but I know plots and I can usually remember a Star Trek story that correlates with almost anything in life.  Either Star Trek or Twilight Zone - definitely between the two of them the mysteries of life have been fully explored.

My ranking of the series are: 
Voyager (strong female characters)
Deep Space Nine (interesting story development/combination of serious and fun)
The Next Generation (it was exciting to get a new Star Trek and see the updates to the Enterprise - the holodeck was fun)
The Original Series (great series, but I've seen it so many times it doesn't have the same appeal it used to)
Enterprise (they gave an explanation for how Klingon's appearance changed from TOS to TNG - that was a great episode).

 I'm willing to look past the goofiness, the plot holes, the excessive sense of righteousness, and the unexplainable decisions and solutions that are conveniently used in one episode, but forgotten in the next.

I forgive it all that because the future's a cool place to think about.  I like that quite often they present a story about an intriguing idea.  What if our minds/consciousness could go into new bodies?  What if someone had godlike powers and was bored?  What if a new evolution of being was treated like a tool instead of a sentient being?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5


No comments: