Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My strategy for the economic crisis



Posters from You The Designer blog and here

Here's my plan:
Save money, but not be spartan. Bottom line - I need to keep my job and build my cushion so I have six months salary in the bank - right now, I don't. My concern for myself is that I'll be blindsided by a layoff or getting fired. I don't want to panic or be vulnerable. 22 more months will give me enough time to get my six month cushion.

By the end of 2009 I expect the 'experts' will have a better idea of what's working and what isn't and what we can save and what we can't. We'll either have hit bottom or have a better idea where bottom is.

If Obama's strategies aren't showing visible signs of working by the end of 2009, we'll at least know what doesn't work and try something else. In that case I'll hold my breath through 2011.
If, at the end of 2009 Obama's strategies are working, it will probably still take another year for people to regain their confidence. By the end of 2010, though, we should be in much better shape - still struggling, but at least feeling stronger.

That gets me through the next 22 months.


Even still, I have faith in my fellow man. People will find ways to create an economy from the ruins of this economy - new industry, new ideas, new ways to make money, new resources. Eventually, people will purchase things they value.
Young people are always hopeful.
Smart people find ways to make things work.
Daring people are willing to take risks in good economies and bad.

If everyone will remain calm and believe in themselves, we can get through this. We can build the America we want for our children and grandchildren. We can live the America our parents believed in on our behalf. We can be the dream of America that has survived from farm to factory, from toddler to senior, from wealthy to poor, from lonely to loved, and for more than 200 years. We are the United States of America.

So, that's my plan. Be calm and carry on. Be positive and ever vigilant. Be prudent and always hopeful. Wait and see.

No comments: