Sunday, December 14, 2008

Babylon 5

I'm rewatching Babylon 5 (an implied comment on the current television lineup).

I started watching Babylon 5 as it was aired back in the 90's in either season 2 or season 3. It was airing alongside Deep Space Nine and although I'll always enjoy Star Trek, and I'm a fan of DS9, I came close to enjoying Babylon 5 more as I slowly tried to figure out what I'd missed and get into the story as it was unfolding.
My recollection is that Season 5 didn't hold up as well for me.
I had a huge crush on G'Kar.
I've never seen any of the movies they made.

I saw the series was on sale for 1/2 price in the last couple weeks so I purchased the first four seasons.

I've got three more episodes of the first season that I think I'll finish up today.
I find myself antsy to find out why Sinclair leaves and how Sheridan comes in.
I had a recollection that people thought Michael O'Hare didn't work as Jeffrey Sinclair in Season 1, but I have to say I like him. His voice has a quality that reminds me of cheesy movies from the 60's or 70's. At the same time, his voice has a nice deep resonance that is soothing. Anyway - I've come to really enjoy him as Jeffrey Sinclair. I like the way he relates to all the other characters and the way he mixes the Jean Luc Picard and James T Kirk school of command. (And here, I have to give a shout out to Kathryn Janeway who was my favorite Star Trak captain and also a good mix of Picard and Kirk.)

I had forgotten how much I like Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova. Since I'd never seen season 1 maybe I didn't get a chance to like her as much as I do right now. Or maybe I did and I forgot. In any event - she's a wonderful character; not without a sense of humor and not filled with so much angst she can't be touched (which I would find tiresome).

The other surprise is how little I've seen of G'Kar. I thought he was a major character all the way through, but I'd say he's been out of more episodes so far than he's been in. At least I know he'll develop a more prominent role later on.

I like DeLenn in this season as well. Before I only saw DeLenn after she was part human. I think I might like her better in this season. I'll see.

All the rest of the characters - Garibaldi, Talia, Fir, Lennier, Na'Toth - are good as well. Doctor Franklin is smug, as is par for the course in these kind of dramas. Ugh.

I think I'm getting a bit more backstory in this viewing that's enhancing my understanding.

I like that I haven't seen the show since the last episode of season 5, which I think was at least 10 years ago. I'm hoping when I get to the episodes I've seen, I'll still find them enjoyable.

No comments: