Monday, December 15, 2008

Babylon 5 - Season Two

I've watched four episodes of Season 2 and notice the difference.
1. I DO miss Michael O'Hare as Jeffrey Sinclair. I expect Bruce Boxleitner will grow on me, but for now it feels uncomfortable.
2. The mystery of Sinclair and why the Mimbari surrendered was answered too quickly and easily in episode 1; it was a one paragraph exposition from Lennier.
3. Ivanova had a reintroductory speech that summed up her character perfuntorily. It also wasn't exactly the character from Season 1. In Season 1 she had a nice balance of being a private person, but not obsessively so. In Season 2, so far, she's too open and normal and regular; they took away her complexity.
4. Delenn is half human now and I don't like it. I know she ends up with Sheridan and I don't like that - its too...? I don't know - but it bugs me. Also, it was clear at the end of the last episode of Season 1 she was the one with Sinclair in the other time. They should have changed the voice or something (they probably didn't have an opportunity). So, maybe that makes it clear that they intended Delenn to end up with the character in charge of Babylon 5, if not Sinclair, then Sheridan. Okay.
5. The special effects budget has gone way up.
6. I notice there's a new Na'Toth as well. I liked Caitlin Brown from Season 1.

So, I'll keep working through Season 2. But, so far I like Season 1 better!

No comments: