Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

I don't know what its like to live in hurricane country. I imagine even people who are familiar with hurricanes are less inclined to risk being being unimpressed with Gustav after Katrina.

When my area has a little bit of snow we get the Storm Center Alert team scattered throughout the area giving us live reports of nothing in ominous tones; it may not look bad now, but just think about what it could be! Danger, danger - you better stay tuned to find out more.

I worry about when to believe the media and when they're overreporting. It sounds to me like people are taking Gustav seriously and evacuating so I hope the media/government haven't overhyped this event or it will make people not trust the warnings next time.

On the other hand, it would really be better if Gustav was overhyped because if its as bad as they say it will cause all kinds of damage just when people were coming back from Katrina.

The storm just passed over Cuba - what happened there?
(I just heard on the Weather Channel that the Cuban government requires evacuation when they say; they rarely have deaths as a result of hurricanes)

In any event, I hope everyone is safe and has homes to come back to. I'd be very anxious if I had to deal with this.

No comments: