Sunday, July 20, 2008

Art and Artists - Jake Cress

I don't have talent in the visual arts. There's nothing natural for me about picking colors or having an imagination related to textures and placement. Its a struggle.
Which is why I wanted to start crafting.
I've lost my creativity and imagination over the years and I want to get it back.
I decided pushing myself in an uncomfortable direction might push me back into creativity.
So far, not so much.

But, as part of my process I've paid attention to artists I've seen on television or elsewhere. I'll post links to their sites as they come up.

First up is Jacob Cress from Virginia. he designs furniture with a sense of humor!
From the website: "The pieces are made one at a time, very carefully, by one dusty old guy who works by himself in an ancient log cabin."
I like his grandfather clock and the table with a book under it.
He's got a link on his page to a piece he completed with Mark Young that melds a painting and furniture into one piece. Fun stuff!

http://www.jakecress.com/
http://www.markyoung.com/

No comments: