Sunday, July 20, 2008

Science - Electromagnetic Energy

Science doesn't come easily to me either. I have to hear it over and over and over again before it finally sinks in. And really, I'm still waiting for it to sink in. As a result, everytime I hear scientific things I think are cool, I'm excited all over again like its the first time.

So, here's something I wrote in my notebook, hoping I'd remember. And yet, when I read it again today, I thought - gee that's cool. Well, science is cool anyway.

Couldn't this information be applicable to photography? I have trouble with lighting in my photos.

Electromagnetic energy leaves the sun in varying wave lengths.
The varying wavelengths mean some light is visible to us and other light is not.
White light is visible. But, its white or clear to our eye - until it strikes an object and is reflected back to the eye by that object.
The molecular structure and pigmentation of each object determines if the rays are mixed, absorbed, or reflected.
Surface also affects what kind of light ray will be reflected off an object.
Shiny, Glossy - will reflect more brightly
Dull, Satin - will reflect less brightly.

No comments: