Thursday, July 24, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Season 4 - Top 8 Results

1. Cat hasn't said 'judges' all year, so if people haven't watched the show before, they won't know the reason she does it is because people teased her for saying 'ghidges'. I did anyway. To myself. Good-naturedly. She should say it again.
2. Good on Nigel for talking about voting. Its a sad commentary when so many people are willing to pay money - multiple times - to vote for an American Idol or So You Think You Can Dancer, which will never affect their life. But, they don't want to spend the time to vote for government representatives that really can effect change in their lives.
3. Katee is safe. Was Mary Murphy's knock-knock joke worthy of repeat? I don't think so.
Its true, Katee has been in a lot of enjoyable routines. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't see the 'light' the judges see in her. She looks like a regular contemporary dancer - a very talented and capable dancer, yes. But, a light? I don't see it. Maybe I'm taking the judges effusiveness too literally.
She acted so surprised to be safe. Doesn't she know how clearly the judges love her? Is it an act, or did she really not feel confident?
4. Will - Another stupid Mary Murphy comment from last night is repeated (You didn't meet my expectations....you blew my expectations!!) Ugh.
Oh - wow - hmmm...he's in the bottom two. Was it accidental? Did people assume he was so safe they didn't vote for him? Or is it the IV Real cockiness? (From my perspective, it gets a little tiresome to be excluded from the joke. I don't have to be in on everything, but if I'm not, do you have to throw it in my face all the time?) Anyway...crazy. Maybe that's why Katee acted surprised and happy - it really could happen.

Commercial

5. Comfort - I don't like it that she has to pull her pants up during the dance. I really have no understanding of the baggy pants - and I thought that was out of style by now.
Anyway - Comfort is in the bottom two. This poor girl has been in the bottom two for a long time.
6. Mark - another surprise! Wow - he's safe. I'm a little flabbergasted. How did that happen? Okay - I'm glad about it and I would have been so sad to see him go, but I'd kinda gotten used to it - Will, Joshua, and Twitch are the three popular guys whose dance is approachable. Mark is the one that people don't understand. That's what I expected. I'd be interested to see how he works out with Katee so I hope they're partnered next week.


7. Chelsie's safe - blah.
8. Twitch - Nigel's stupid comment from last night is repeated..."I've had that experience before...well I didn't mention your name Mary."
Uh - oh, Twitch is in the bottom two and he's having a mini-breakdown. He's not taking it well. Keep it together man - you don't know what the final result is, yet. And besides it not like the winner gets anything great anyway.
9. I'm a little tired of the comments about the body parts of the dancers. I'm not the type of person who would ogle a person anyway - so one or two comments are okay for me. But, the judges (and a lot of commenters on blogs too) like to talk about it. Last night Nigel had to mention Joshua's bum. So he had to wiggle it. Sigh. I don't like it when they do it to him or Chelsie. As participants in a competition show, the dancers are forced to play along. I'd do it too if they put me in that position. They don't want to alienate anyone. But, from this quarter I can tell you - I'm done with it.
I was also treated to another Hot Tamale train thing from Mary. How many times can I say ugh in one show (well, last night's show)? Joshua is safe.
10. Courtney - It turns out almost every comment that Mary Murphy made that bugged me was not only in last night's show, but repeated again in tonight's show. This time they repeated "Where's Ashton? [awkward silence] Cause I think I'm being punk'd right now". AAARGH.
So, Courtney knows she's in the bottom two. I don't blame her for being concerned because who knows the depth of Comfort's support; she beat out Kherington last week.

Special guest - Los Angeles Ballet - Pas De Deux to The Man I Love.
Very relaxing. I wonder why they don't do ballet on this show? The girls wouldn't have to wear toe shoes. They'd do as well in ballet as they'd do in ballroom if they're inexperienced dancers. My suggestion - put ballet in and take disco out.
When was the last time they put ballet on national television in prime time? Has to be at least 40 years. I don't know if that's true - but its not common.
The screaming audience. Stop screaming at every lift. Please someone stop them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twenty years from now when these girls are nearing middle age, and going to the ballet, will they be screaming like this for everything that happens on stage? Is that going to be the norm? And what I really don't like is that they scream for such obvious 'trick' type things and have no apparent appreciation for the intricate details that make a dance transcendent.

Solos -

Comfort - Again. Same ol', same ol'
Will - Okay - I don't like the use of the state as a prop, but it seems popular. Why is there a comment from Nigel for Will, but not Comfort?

Commercial

Courtney - did she make it up on the fly? Sometimes it seemed so, other times not. No comment from a judge.
Twitch - Superman t-shirt again. I guess his hat wasn't supposed to fall off the stage - which would have been a cool ending, if it had worked.

LL Cool J, featuring the Dream.
Oh no - LL Cool J did the IV Real hand gesture. I wonder what they're trying to say? Is it a statement of pride or exclusion?

Results
Comfort v Courtney
Comfort is going again. I'm sorry for her having to do this again. But, she's handling it well.

Twitch v Will
Will is leaving. Hmmm...well, that's strange. Surprising. Will Debbie Allen judge next week or in the finals? He really is a good dancer.

There appeared to be genuine togetherness at the end when all 8 dancers formed a circle, hugging each other. Good to see.

No comments: