Wednesday, July 16, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Season 4 Top 10

Okay - so, here we go...

1. I liked Mark's solo the best. It was the same dance as his audition, except a different part. I'll be interested to see what he does as the competition progresses. His audition/solo dance is so unique that its fun to watch.
2. If Jessica's had fractured ribs all this time, would that be the reason she wasn't doing as well as she might, and, given that the judges knew about it, could that be why they kept her on longer than many viewers wanted her to be on? I'll think she'll be happier not in the competition.
3. To be honest, none of the dances rose to my highest level of enjoyment. Nothing as interesting and exciting as the Bollywood number (among others) that I've enjoyed in the past.
4. On the other hand...I'm impressed with the community of dancer/choreographers who want their experience of dance to be our experience of dance as well. L'il C is a hip-hop dancer/choreographer who appreciates and has an eye for all styles of dance. I thought his critiques tonight were interesting. I also liked that Nigel talked about Desmond Richardson. I think Nigel must be proud of the support from the more traditional dance community (which I assume Desmond Richardson is from based on Nigel's introduction).
5. The dances I enjoyed the most in tonight's show are:
Courtney and Joshua - Hip-Hop - Dave Scott - "Skippin" by Mario (humorous)
Chelsie and Gev - Contemporary - Sonya - "These Arms O' Mine" by Otis Redding
Courtney and Joshua - Rumba - Jean-Marc Genereaux - "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias (they both gave it a lot of intensity)
Katie and Will - Pas de Deux - Desmond Richardson - "Imagine" by David Archuleta (if it weren't for that one mistake, the dance would have been perfect, right?)
Chelsie and Gev - Jive - Jean-Marc Genereaux - "The House is a Rockin'" by Brian Setzer (I was impressed with the energy Gev had in that dance.)
6. I will note Comfort's performance tonight. Good for her. First off, to come back only to pull the Smooth Waltz from the hat - yeesh. That's the area she has the most difficulty. And then, to pull Hip-Hop, with Twitch as a partner and Dave Scott as the choreographer. Talk about your highs and lows. She looked like she was having fun with the Hip-Hop dance.
7. Courtney is moving up in people's estimation as the competition progresses
8. Although L'il C says that Joshua is sweet and kind behind the scenes, I started having some negative feelings about him this week. I think its because of the 'player' vibe he was projecting in the first dance. And I didn't like his solo - it seemed almost arrogant. He was using the same moves that Twitch is popular for. Is there some kind of competition going on with them? Hopefully its friendly competition, if it is.
9. Mark has moved into the top of the middle of the pack right now. He had two blah dances tonight. I like him better than the judges. I think he's still in the top. But, their comments will, I think, put him in the middle. I think he'll do better with a different partner. We'll see. Maybe he's a one trick pony.
10. I used to think Kherington was a shoo-in to be at the top because the judges fawned over her and she does have a likeable smile. But, I think she's showed some weaknesses of late and if I were making all the decisions, she's be toward the bottom. Sadly.
11. Well, good for Comfort, but I wonder if she'll be in the bottom of the pack again tomorrow because the people will think she isn't supposed to be there. Or, she'll get a lot of votes as people get a second chance to support her.
12. I'm impressed by Twitch's ability to do a variety of dances. He said he took extra classes over the year since 2007 and it shows. He's a good all around dancer. Not spectacular, but pretty good. I guess my assumption is he hasn't had much formal training or exposure to lots of dance styles so he's doing good on that scale. I could be remembering incorrectly.
13. Well, these judges sure do like Katee. And she's been lucky to have two great partners. I think she's wonderful too, but I don't have quite as much enthusiasm as the judges do. She's completely versatile and does a great job. I don't see this light shining from her like the judges do.
14. Will is also a good dancer and what can I say?
15. Chelsie is another dancer that the judges gush over much more than I would. Aren't the ballroom steps that she does in the solo too far apart? And her legs seem splayed out too wide? I don't know, that's what I think though. I think she's a good dancer, but I don't think she outshines her partners. In fact, I think she overplays the sexy stuff a bit too much. Although who can blame her based on the feedback she gets from the judges. On the other hand, maybe she's just been lucky and has had a lot of dances that play to her strengths.
16. I thought Gev more than held his own in the jive dance. He did a great job and held his energy. I think he gets the short end of the stick a lot of times. Again, I'm assuming he hasn't had any training and so I'm judging him on that scale.
17. At the end of the show when the dancers are starting to dance during the credits, Chelsie rebuffs Gev and moves to where Katee and Mark are dancing. I wonder if that means anything?
18. Whoever decides on the costumes for this show has done a generally bad job in my opinion. Those outfits for Twitch and Comfort looked a little goofy. I think Chelsie and Courtney have been lucky with their costumes. Maybe its because they're both tiny people.

Hmm...who would I lose if I made the decisions...?
By process of elimination I'd have to say Comfort and Gev.
I enjoy Gev's personality and his dancing, but Twitch, Will, and Joshua are very popular. Mark is one of my faves so I want him to stay another week. (Mark has to show us something spectacular next week though so he can prove he didn't get where he is because of Chelsie.)

It sounds like a full show tomorrow!

No comments: