Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Saving Grace

Saving Grace

I started watching the show because I like the actress Holly Hunter.

I'm sometimes ambivalent about watching it because Grace Hanadarko is completely unfamiliar to me and though she's clearly a heroine and a good person, I have trouble with her excessive ways.

The other good and bad element is Earl. I don't like his tobacco chewing (though he doessn't do it as much as he used to, I think). And I don't understand what he says sometimes.

On the good side, I like that he's an angel of God. It adds a nice twist to the show.

Especially after last Monday's episode when it became clear that Grace is supposed to help Leon Cooley. That would be cool.

I like that Hanadarko isn't a lone heroine all the time. She goes it alone sometimes, but we've never seen her in a situation that she didn't have all the bases covered. She's not going to be so stupid that she wouldn't call in backup if its the right thing to do.

I really don't understand how she deals with the problems in her past (sister guilt, sexual abuse). She drinks too much. Yeah - I don't get it because I'm not a drinker. So, sometimes I get a little frustrated.

I do wonder how she keeps her house from having ants, roaches, rats and stuff. I don't think I've seen her clean it before and she's so deliberate about throwing trash around. Its one thing to be irresponsible, but the consequences are pest infestation. She hasn't had any. That seems like a nit-picky thing to say, but that's the reason the behavior bothers me. If the show is trying to show how messed up she is (or out of control, or whatever) because she doesn't have a care about having water fights in the living room or food fights in the kitchen, then wouldn't she be so messed up she'd also not clean and then she'd end up with mold or rodents. That would be a consequence of her behavior and, in my world, she'd stop doing it. So, maybe they should at least show her cleaning up. I know, crazy on my part to care, but it does bug me.


I also like Retta very much. She's a better friend than I would be. And Ham. He puts up with so much.


In general, they've found a nice balance of personal drama, work drama, spiritual drama, and crime-solving. I like it.


But, I can't watch it if there's a lot of turmoil in the world because Grace can be so dark. Its too much for me.

Embrace Your Grace...I like this ad campaign. I like the play on the word Grace. And I like the idea of embracing your gifts. I don't remember all the stuff Grace said in the original spot for the campaign, but it put a positive spin on Grace's weaknesses, which was a little goofy. But, I like the general idea.

No comments: