Thursday, June 12, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Top 20 Results

Opening Routine
Meh. I didn't like it. Too many people, too much mugging for the camera, some dancing but it was hard to get a feel for anything continuous because they kept cutting away. What I did see of the dancing looked good.

Who's in the bottom three?
I forgot that Nigel said that nasty thing about Matt last night. It was harsh and I didn't even agree. He doesn't think Matt has any personality. I thought he was full of personality last night.
And yet, Kourtni and Matt are the first couple in the bottom three. I blame Nygel.

Rayven and Jamie are the second couple. Understandable since they were at the beginning of the show. I blame the choreography.

Jessica and Will. I'm surprised. I guess they're in the bottom three not for being bad, but not being popular enough.

Camera and Popping
The camera work is noticeable again. They aren't switching from camera to camera fast enough and the cameras aren't quite where they should be. There are also sound problems.

I like that we'll see different dance styles showcased every week.

I hope I remember that Boogaloo Sam from Fresno, CA started popping back in 1975. Its a combo of the jerk and the twist. That sounds like a hero-making, legendary trivia question!

Poppin' Pete and Shownee (sp?) demonstrated popping, including finger popping. Good job.

Dancing for their lives
Kourtni - good job
Matt - excellent
Rayven - I also wondered, why isn't she on pointe? I decided she tried to combine ballet with a style that had more mass appeal.
Jamie - He mouthed the words to the song. Otherwise, it was fine. Is he the only male ballroom dancer? That's a change from prior years.
Jessica - I thought it looked like she was ready to stop 10 seconds before her time was up. She had to throw a few more jumps and leaps in to keep going.
Will - good job

PussyCat Dolls
Is she saying "wanna get boobies" when I grow up?
I'll save my comments until I'm sure that's what was said because I'm famous in my own world for not hearing lyrics correctly.

Girl Elimination
Of the three, I would eliminate Jessica for not giving 100%
But, the judges decide to penalize Rayven for being on demi-pointe instead of on pointe.

Rayven is class act all the way. She is gracious and upbeat. I like her.

Boy Elimination
Of the three, I would eliminate Jamie, and that's who is eliminated.
Between Jamie and Matt, Nigel says he's selecting (for this one time only) technique over personality.
Honest to goodness, Nigel - can you lay off Matt? I really don't see the problem you do. Is there some other part of this story we don't know about? You're setting him up for failure by continuing to harp on this alleged lack of personality - next week he's going to give you uberpersonality and you'll fault him for too much personality.

Jamie is disappointed.

I don't know the songs that are playing for the send-off montage. I'm sure they're the type of upbeat, stay positive songs I like to download.

Good opening week...the dancers are sorting themselves out. The choreographers will need to take it up a notch to find the weakness in these dancers - they're all very good. Its going to be fun.

No comments: