Monday, June 30, 2008

Doctor Who, Design Star, Food Network Star

Doctor Who - Forest of the Dead
Often, scary aliens in Doctor Who are misunderstood victims. The Vashta Nerada 'nursery' was in the trees on this planet that were killed in order to make room for the library. So, the spores continued their gestation in the books. Or - the Vashta Nerada trees which contained all the spores were used to create the books and sent to the library (per Wikipedia). But, I thought the 'Other Dave' talking Vashta Nerada had said this was their planet. ? Anyway, they were victim's of a human person's need to deny/avoid the death of a beloved daughter.

Doctor Who - Season One
So, the real Doctor Who in my head is Christopher Eccleston. I watched Season One again this weekend. When it was over I mourned the loss of the Ninth Doctor just like it was the first time. Christopher Eccleston made me care about The Doctor. He was goofy and kind and wise and unafraid and angry and accepting and forgiving. He was the perfect hero and its no wonder I have a huge crush on the Ninth Doctor. Huge.
And it makes me so curious about Christopher Eccleston. Why did he leave? Was he happy being The Doctor? Did he get along with Billie Piper? Is he sad he left? Was it always the plan?
The Doctor's personality and character are imprinted on Christopher Eccleston for me, so he's the beneficiary of my positive and warm feelings for Doctor Nine - I hope he's happy and living a wonderful life.

Design Star
Michael is young. It was hard to watch. Honestly, after his audition I was surprised they took him. He may have had a flair for design, but he couldn't control it or define it. He's at the mercy of something he doesn't yet understand. Once he figures out who he is (not in relation to other people) he'll decide if he wants to develop his skills. At the audition he couldn't find the words to describe his style and he didn't even understand why he needed to define it. I recognize his frustration because I feel it too as it relates to this blog. This is me, practicing. I know what I want to say, but I can't control it or express it in a way that's useful for other people.
I hope Michael will have learned some humility after watching the show.

Otherwise, I'm still a Jennifer fan. I'm glad Matt gets another chance.

I'm feeling even more manipulated about Tracee this week. They kept showing her making outlandish claims about her talents. America loves to see someone who thinks they're great get knocked down a peg. And the producers were setting us up to believe Tracee would be going home this week - only to have it be her archrival Michael! Da Da Da Daaaaaaaa!

Doctor Who - Rose vs Martha
...and really, why would The Doctor love Rose so much in particular? Look at what Martha did in the last two episodes of season three? She convinced a whole world to believe in The Doctor!!!! And she did it knowing that he didn't love her like she loved him.
I just don't get why everyone wants Rose and The Doctor to be together so much more than The Doctor and someone else. The Doctor is expansive - he can love her, but he wouldn't mope about her being gone. He knows life is eternal.

Bad Wolf. That section bothers me. At the end of Season 1 when Rose takes the Tardis in, I think we find out that the Tardis is a female and she loves The Doctor. The Doctor recognizes the Tardis and is showing love for the Tardis, not Rose. The Tardis sacrificed herself (by going into Rose) to save The Doctor, and The Doctor sacrificed the Christopher Eccleston body to save The Tardis. That's the story I choose to believe!!!!!

(I'm clearly obsessed about Doctor Nine right now - I expect I'll calm down in a few days.)

Food Network Star
Jennifer was the correct choice. And, unless he does something spectacular, Adam will be next. He might be a great cook, but he isn't a great cook under pressure, it seems.
The funny thing about this competition is that the Food Network doesn't seem to have any problem finding new stars in their usual way. They have a whole batch of new shows coming up already - none of them feature the 'other two' winners of the Food Network Star - or even a runnerup.
I would pick either Lisa, Shane, or Kelsie to win - and I'm probably not going out on a limb with that prediction either. Aaron's too nervous and uncomfortable in front of the camera and Adam doesn't handle his time while cooking well. I understand - I quite often underestimate how long it will take me to do something.

1 comment:

David Dust said...

Design Star's Tracee is bound to be sent home soon. I HOPE!

CLICK HERE for DavidDust's Design Star recap.

:)