Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Man in the Mirror

 1988 Grammy Performance by Michael Jackson.

I was transfixed.  I recorded it on VHS tape and watched it over and over and over and over and over again.  For me, it was about the inspiring lyrics imploring me to make a change - to start with me.  And it was about Michael Jackson.  He was such a presence - strange and intriguing. Its sad to watch the performance today. I don't choose to watch or read anything about the child abuse allegations.  I accept he was both abuser and abused.  

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
(If you want to make the world a better place)
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change
(Take a look at yourself, and then make a
Change

I wish he could have found a way to make a change.


Beyond everything, though, is the song.  Music and Lyrics by Glenn Ballard and Siedah Garrett.  It's everything I need in an inspirational song: straight forward message, gives me the power to take action and make change, and a rousing chorus - especially with a gospel choir for backup.

Here is Siedah Garrett singing the song.  


No comments: