Monday, January 8, 2018

The 2018 Golden Globes



This year the Golden Globes took on sexual harassment and gender inequality.
Women wore black gowns to the event (and looked smashing).

The theme of the night was "TIME'S UP"

I haven't experienced sexual harassment or gender inequality that destroys lives or even would be worth talking about.
The thing I've experienced, though, is the power dynamic that men have over women.
I've been confronted by angry men who I had to back down from because I couldn't be sure they wouldn't haul off and hit me.  
I've been confronted by one angry man who did.
It stays with you; that feeling of not being able to fight for yourself because you want to live another day.

I have placated men with delicate egos. 
They have undercut my efforts to succeed when given a chance.

Behind closed doors, I suspect I've known men who had little or no interest in respecting the women they work with, or had old fashioned expectations of women they live with.
I'll never know for sure.

I know what it's like to be female in this society and I've heard stories from other women.
I can relate to what they say even if I haven't experienced it.
It's true...TIME'S UP.

I hope this time it takes.  
I'm not sure it will, but maybe it will at least get better and the next time we reach a breaking point it will get better again.  As it is, I was lucky to live in my time.  Many women before me sacrificed so I could have an education, make choices, live free.  For the most part, I have been free.



It seems the Whole World is talking about Oprah's speech.
It brought me to tears. MFT mentioned that she had tears in her eyes as well.


People liked the speech so much, we now have this...



She has always said she'd never run for political office. And I believe her.
But, last night Steadman (her 'rock') said she'd do it if the people wanted her to.
That surprises and confuses me.

She would get my vote.

No comments: