Saturday, December 16, 2017

Three hundred and fiftieth day - Personal



"The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them up"
Dorothy Day



I'm NOT buying new craft items - stamps, dies, etc.  I may have to purchase inks or papers or other consumables, but nothing from new collections.
I don't create very much art/craft, but spend a lot of time organizing the items I have and looking for new items to buy.
I don't feel good about it. I have lovely items already - they excited me when I purchased them. 
I haven't used them and practically feel bored looking at them because they're old.
Obviously there's something else going on that I'm avoiding.
I suspect it's moving from methodical world to creativity world...it's not easy for me. 

This morning I've spent an hour adding items to wishlists on two art/craft websites.
I added items to the cart and deleted them at least twice.


I watched a DVR'd episode of The Middle last night.
A feature of the show is that they never have enough money for anything, but I've never seen a house with so much crap piled up all over the place.  Uh, yeah - it's a set, I get it.  
But, man - people pile things up so high in their garages and closets and shelves and then become used to seeing it so when they walk by they don't even notice how much stuff they have.
I don't have a garage. I have a storage closet.  I have too much stuff.
It's easy (and pleasurable) to want new things and get them. 
I don't enjoy researching so at least I don't have that added benefit to the shopping experience. 
I also don't prefer purchasing items online.
I purchase Kindle books, streaming music/movies/tv, and craft items online.
I've purchased some items online (a couple tunics, a duvet cover, some t-shirts), but for the most part I go to the brick and mortar stores.


MY WATCHWORD FOR 2018 IS MINDFUL

I've been experimenting with mindfulness as it relates to my eating and I think it's been successful.
Awareness and mindfulness in the last year has given me insight into my relationships with other people.
I can apply that same mindfulness to shopping.  

I've been tracking all my food and drink intake - all of it - on my phone.  
That's how I've become more mindful.
I keep track of how I FEEL and what I'm THINKING when I have an urge to reach for a cracker even though I recognize I'm not hungry.

2017 has been a difficult year, though not without its joys and insights and hope.
2018 has the potential to be expansive and fulfilling.

And, so does THIS VERY DAY!  I'll start right now - today will be expansive and fulfilling!!!!!

Yay!






No comments: