Friday, March 17, 2017

Seventy-sixth Day


I'm saying goodbye to two more teeth today.  I'm so sad about it.  I wish I'd taken better care of my teeth over the years so I wouldn't have to keep extracting them - or let them fall out from neglect.
It's so sad.
Thank you teeth.  I wish I'd treated you better.

My wisdom teeth (#1, #16, #17 and #32) were extracted when I was 16.  
Today, I'm losing #2 and #3
#15 is gone. 
#18 is gone.
#29 and #31 are gone

Sigh.  

I'm trying to be a 'big girl' about it today and not get overly nervous.  It's a new doctor.  Again.
I sure would be happy with a regular dentist.
My last dentist did good work as far as I know, but I felt she was a bit discombobulated and didn't explain things in a way that made me understand what was happening.  I just went along.  The rest of the work I need done she doesn't do so she referred me to another dentist.  That's fine.
The dentist I'm seeing today took a good amount of time to explain the treatment plan to me.  I appreciate it very much.
But - he's new and I don't know how he works.  

I haven't been nervous really.  Which makes me concerned that at the last minute I'll be overwhelmed with nervousness and not able to control myself.  

I remind myself that all I have to do is sit there.  
The dentist has the hard job.

If I could go back in time - even to a pretty young age - with my current world view, I'd do it, just so I could take better care of my teeth.
Although - come to think of it...with my current world view, I'd know there are some dental inventions that I'd prefer to use.  When I started going to the dentist, we leaned over to spit in the sink a lot.  And I have a feeling numbing agents have probably gotten better.
And, I'd either have to become a better cook or start eating meat again because we didn't have as many vegan options as we do now.
Yeah - I better just stick it out in the here and now.


Yesterday I drove to Tigard for Jan's retirement party.  It was a great drive.  It's been rainy for a while and I was concerned it wouldn't be a good driving day.  Lucky for me it dried up and the sun came out for a perfect driving day.  The same thing happened for SGM when she drove up here on the 4th for a day of card making - perfect driving day surrounded by lots of rainy days.
Miracle, or statistically reasonable?  
Felt like a miracle.
If I'd left the office to come home at 2:00 instead of 4:30, I would have been home by 6:00 or so (I bet) instead of 9:30.  I repeatedly tried to outsmart the traffic leaving Portland for Vancouver and failed miserably, eventually driving up to Rainier and crossing into Longview.  I should have just sat on I-5...like a 'big girl'.

Another thing I did was speak briefly at Jan's party.  I made a funny or two and mentioned how great her hugs are.  I had positive feedback from people.  That made me happy because I don't normally speak in front of large crowds.  But, no one mentioned her hugs so I had to.
I also found a home for LJB's Tardis Blanket (I gave it to him for his last birthday and he liked it).  Jan's a huge Doctor Who fan so it occurred to me as I was saying goodbye to her that I had it in the trunk.  I originally offered it to LJB's daughter and she didn't want it.  
I think it went to a good home.  


It's nearly 10:00 and my appointment is at 10:45 so....yikes. I can feel a rush of nervous adrenaline.  
I'm sending a message to the universe that I'd love some healing light and love energy right now.
Deep breath.  Off I go!



UPDATE at the end of the day...
I survived.  I wasn't overwhelmed by anxiety. I was nervous, but in a normal way. Even sitting in the chair waiting, I reminded myself that nothing was happening to be nervous about.  That worked.
I was going to write more details but I realize it doesn't benefit me to remember and live in those moments. 
After it was over I spent several hours in pain, uncomfortable with the numbness, controlling my saliva, and stopping the bleeding and being concerned about the blood clot.
I tried really hard to breathe through the pain.  It did help a bit.  That's the kind of thing that works best after practicing for a while.  
When I took my second set of Tylenol at 8:30 I finally had some relief.  

I still haven't taken any antibiotic.  I'll do that in a couple hours. I worry about that because I don't want to get nauseous.  I have a very low dose though.

Anyhow - I feel the dentist did a fine job.  I like him.  Patty is the assistant and Vivian is the receptionist.  All were very nice and I feel very comfortable with all of them.




No comments: