Saturday, June 14, 2014

Story of My Life - 002 - July 1959


So this isn't a story, but it's interesting, I think.  This is a note written to my mother and father to congratulate them when they got me.

"Dear
I was sure surprised to hear about your sweet little baby just about 2 days before I got the card.  Avis and I were talking and I said to her I don't think they will ever have any children and here come the card and we had a good laugh but it is so nice for you and I wish you good luck raising her.  I know she must be very sweet as I know her parents are.  Well, I am getting so many Great Grandchildren that I will have to quit writing to them as my hands is so bad my hand is asleep right now and I have to stop and wake it up.  I am not very well anymore so excuse me if I don't write very often.  I have something wrong with  my jaw, it all swelled up like I had the mumps and it sure bothers me so much to eat anything.  I am happy you have a baby now.  I know you will be very happy now.  With Love Pearl.  P.S.  Excuse all blunders I am 83 years old now.  Grandma"

I'm really taken by this letter.  She must have been born in 1876.  When she mentions her aches and pains it becomes very immediate and in this moment.  A bridge across time.

No comments: