Friday, April 18, 2014

Movies I've Seen - Elysium

  • In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Delacourt, a government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in by any means they can. When unlucky Max is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that, if successful, will not only save his life but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.
    Written by Production


I was much more interested in the worlds that were hinted at in this movie, than the story I was told.

I don't enjoy violence for the sake of violence and big action sequences often hide lack of a good story.
But, given the right setup and motivation, I can be as thrilled as the next person when the hero fights back and wins.
In this movie, although I'm glad things turned out okay, the fight and battle scenes were the main focus and they weren't very interesting.

It's almost as if this is one chapter in a larger book.  The first chapters gave us more detail about Earth and Elysium.  The characters were developed and we understood the story behind the Matt Damon and Jodie Foster characters (character names?  who knows.).
I can imagine this wasn't even the last chapter of the book.  The movie ended abruptly.

Interesting premise not played out enough for my tastes.
I did watch the whole thing though.  That's something.

YouTube video of Neill Blomkamp talking about the movie
Slate articles from David Weigel and Dana Stevens about the movie



No comments: