Monday, February 10, 2014

Watching Sochi 2014

It takes some effort.

First, I'm aware of the social and political issues with Russia, but I'm taking a pass on it for this blog post.

Second, don't watch the NBC Nightly News...last night I watched it and they spoiled their own broadcast coming up after the news.  According to Brian Williams they were only spoiling results that are widely known already.  Are you KIDDING????  Widely known????  Wow.

I'll catch events on NBCOlympics.com and on NBC cable channels.
NBCOlympics.com has replays as well.  I have to work during the day so I can't watch everything live.

Why bother?
I remember when everyone watched the Olympics and we met the athletes "Up Close and Personal".  I liked that.
I also really enjoy watching sports I don't understand and figuring out how it works - what are the rules, what makes a performance good or bad.
These days the broadcast switches gears so quickly it's hard to settle into any of the events so that I can figure it out.

If I know the schedule I can pick an event and watch it from beginning to end on the internet or one of the cable channels.

This morning I'm watching Men's 500m speed skating.  And nobody can spoil it for me because I'm watching it live.
Did you know the speed skating skates detach from the boot at the heel?

UPDATE:  The Netherlands swept Gold, Silver, and Bronze.  There's never been a medalist (gold medalist?) from The Netherlands in Men's 500m.  Not only that, but the Gold and Bronze medalists are twin brothers!.
After the race (and after much of the crowd has left, except The Netherlands contingent) there is a flower ceremony.  Apparently, the medals are awarded elsewhere.
Here's a twitter picture that I don't know how to copy:  http://t.co/v5uipeHxyE

No comments: