Friday, January 31, 2014

Movies I've Seen - This Is 40

  • Pete (Paul Rudd) and Debbie (Leslie Mann) are turning 40. But instead of celebrating, they're mired in a mid-life crisis with unruly kids, debt and unhappiness mounding. Pete's record label is failing and Debbie is unable to come to terms with her aging body. As Pete's 40th birthday party arrives, Pete and Debbie are going to have to rely on family, friends, employees, fitness trainers, aging rockers and ultimately each other to come to terms with life at age 40.
    Written by napierslogs

Another movie I watched...
It was a series of over the top family sitcom scenarios with unnecessarily foul language and a beautiful, wealthy, white family (part of the movie is about their money problems, but their house looked expensive and they both own a business - they may be cash poor, but they're asset rich.).

Suddenly we discover, out of the blue in my opinion, the parents have marital problems and have been seeing a therapist all along.  They turn into obliviously horrible people wrapped in a pretty package.  The Mom threatens a 13 year old boy, the Dad threatens the boy's mother, and they both make the boy's mother look like the crazy one when she takes it to the school principal.

They can only love each other when they blame other people for their problems.

They say horrible things at a birthday party and then there's a magical happy ending.
Just like a sitcom.

At the end, the wife says she liked things better before they tried to change.  When were they trying to change?  Did I sleep through that?

It turns out this movie is supposed to be a sequel to "Knocked Up" which was the story of a couple who hooked up and got pregnant.  They decide to keep the baby and raise it together.  I didn't see that movie.

I wouldn't say I didn't like this movie, and I can't say I didn't laugh.  It just seemed a little disconnected to me and I couldn't follow the emotional beats.

Here's a NY Times review

No comments: