Sunday, January 19, 2014

Colossal - Art and Visual Culture

I was introduced to an online magazine Colossal - Art and Visual Culture via Feedly this morning.
These three items blew me away...

Stainless:  Hypnotizing Slow-Motion Footage from Trains Pulling into Stations by Adam Magyar
Why was I struck by this?  Because I feel connected to each of the people through this moment: their lives, their thoughts, their story.  It feels immediate and real to me.  I'm overwhelmed by the energy and love that a person expresses when they are alive...each and every one of us, in each moment.  Whether I know these people or not, every person on Earth experiences their story with the same energy that I experience mine.  I don't think we often acknowledge that because it can be overwhelming.  Every once in a while I'm reminded of it.



A Lion Made from 4,000 Pieces of Hammered Metal by Selcuk Yilmaz
Why was I struck by this?  There is so much detail and it takes a huge dedication to craft and requires focus and patience.  It also looks amazing.


The Incredible Underwater Art of Competitive Aquascaping
Why was I struck by this?  My first thought when I saw these pictures was that someone had designed the aquascape in a reef or lake or other natural body of water.  Fantastic!  It seemed reasonable because they make coral reefs don't they?
It turns out these are aquariums (I should have noticed the tiny fish).
I still like them.  I like water, and I've always had the idea that I'd enjoy creating mini landscapes or dioramas.  So, the aquascapes appeal to me on a couple levels.
Once again, I'm impressed by the dedication to craft, attention to detail, and patience it takes to create these.

It occurs to me, oftentimes I feel blessed and lucky to have been born in the United States.  I wonder if the fish who live in this aquarium feel the same sense of gratitude.  I suppose not.  But, this would be a cool house for a fish.  Check out the website for several others.

To check out more interesting art and visually ingenious items go to Colossal.  I'm glad it's on my Feedly.


UPDATE (a little later)  I see that the sponsor of the video at the top of this post is Optronis.  It looks like they make slow motion cameras.  Anyhoo - their motto is "Make Time Visible"  Aha!  Yes.  Another reason I like the video...I am like a turtle, I move slow, and a slow motion image gives me time to see more.
Also, I'm reminded of my favorite idea in Star Trek Insurrection:  A lifetime is lived in a moment.




Warning:  Excessive flirting in this next scene...






And don't forget the classic Star Trek The Next Generation episode called "The Inner Light" when Picard lives most of a lifetime in a matter of minutes.

No comments: