Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future...

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future (Fly Like An Eagle, by Steve Miller Band)

Time to look back at 2013 and look forward to 2014



I would say 2013 is the year I was shell-shocked. 

Personally, I’ve been confronted with some (not all) truths about myself. 
While I appreciate the clarity, it hasn’t helped me figure out how best to live my life. 
I still don’t get it. 
I had a breakup in 2012, but it was in 2013 that it took a toll on me.
I feel sad for myself on several levels, but at the same time I know how blessed I am and I’m grateful for this journey.
I like exactly where I’m at.

How can I be sad and happy at the same time for the exact same life circumstance?


Beyond my own life, there’s a lot of craziness in the world.
Strange weather, tornados, typhoons. 
Violence all over the world; Syria, Egypt, Sudan.
NSA spying, race relations.
Government shutdowns, gerrymandered districts, Tea Party conservatives holding us all hostage.
Bombings and mass shootings in schools, malls, and marathons.
The great cultural divide in the US makes for mean and nasty discourse that solves nothing.

Pope Francis has brought a new attitude to the Catholic church that feels like home.
The Royal Family of William, Kate, and George is cute as can be.
Gay marriage is legal in 18 states including my own state of Washington.
There are a lot of smart, good people making the world a wonderful place.

How can I be sad and happy at the same time for the exact same circumstances?


So, that’s the state of my world at the end of 2013. 

For 2014, my watchword is Restraint.
I’ve been self-indulgent in the last year which has led to general laziness and not enough money saved.
I speak too freely to people.  I share too much.  I don’t think people care, and I end up feeling like an idiot when it’s all done. 
So, I want to be restrained this year.
In general, I should think twice before I say or do anything.

Tonight I went to the Garden d’Lights at Bellevue BotanicalGardens.

I had been wishy-washy about going the last couple nights.  I wondered if I’d be the only one in the park  since it’s New Year’s Eve and we had rain earlier in the day.   But, those are the kind of excuses I make that keep me at home.  I decided I don’t have to wait until tomorrow to start being a better person, so off I went.  I was definitely not the only one.  It was beautiful.  It really was a garden.  There were lights in shapes of all kinds of flowers and critters.  They even made a river and waterfall of light.  Really glorious.   The pictures on their website are much better than mine, but I'm not too disappointed in what I was able to capture.  I used the night/landscape setting on my Nikon Coolpix.




Now here is my wish for all of us in the new year:
For 2014 I wish all of us courage, a forgiving heart, joy-filled days, a safe home, plenty of food, curiosity, peace, and the comfort of knowing you are loved.  

No comments: